Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Barriers in the Classroom

After finishing a tutorial on the CAST website, I am more cognizant of hidden barriers for learners as well as barriers in curriculum. It never occurred to me until after this exercise that things like missed opportunities and lack of engagement are barriers.

I then started to ponder about some of the barriers the students that I work with are facing and modifications that could be made to address everyone's individual needs. One lesson our students had  to complete was Correctly identifying community signs. Students were taught through direct instruction a half hour a day for a week common signs in the community, and then were tested to measure retention of the material.

One student despite his affinity for trucks was not making any progress and would often get up during direct instruction sometimes taking 10 minutes for him to get back to the task at hand. This tutorial helped me learn that incorporating the student's interest in trucks and applying it to signs like the stop sign  may keep him engaged and aid  him in acquiring the content.

This information informed me of hidden barriers for students that I was not even aware of. Moving forward I will pay more attention especially to students level of engagement. 

   
Reference Below
 
Pictures found at
http://www.rehabnz.co.nz/media-barriers/mu_1.gif   
 http://www.stephenlifecoach.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/barrier.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/69/Stop_sign%28standard%29.svg
                                


2 comments:

  1. Erik,

    Nice job with this posting. Your personal connection with the children you work with help me to have a better understanding of student's barriers. I myself also never thought of missed learning opportunities as barriers in the classroom, but it definitely makes sense. Good job on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erik,
    I look forward to the connections you make to your professional experience and what you are learning! Effective use of images that reinforce key ideas you are trying to convey!

    ReplyDelete